Definition of alternative performance measures
On 5 October 2015, ESMA (European Securities and Markets Authority) published its guidelines (ESMA/2015/1415) on criteria for the presentation of alternative performance measures which replace, as of 3 July 2016, the CESR/05-178b recommendations.
These guidelines were transposed into our system with CONSOB Communication no. 0092543 dated 3 December 2015.
In addition, on 4 March 2021 ESMA published the guidelines on the disclosure requirements deriving from the new Prospectus Regulation (Regulation EU 2017/1129 and Delegated Regulations EU 2019/980 and 2019/979), which update the previous CESR Recommendations (ESMA/2013/319, in the revised version of 20 March 2013). Starting from 5 May 2021, on the basis of CONSOB Call for Attention No. 5/21, the aforementioned ESMA Guidelines also replace the CESR Recommendation on debt. Therefore, under the new provisions, listed issuers will have to present, in the explanatory notes to their annual and semi-annual financial statements published from 5 May 2021 onwards, a new statement on debt to be drafted in accordance with the instructions in paragraphs 175 and following of the above ESMA Guidelines.
The content and meaning of the non-GAAP measures of performance and other alternative performance indicators used in these financial statements are illustrated below:
- for the Acea Group, the EBITDA is an operating performance indicator and from 1 January 2014 also includes the condensed result of equity investments in jointly-controlled entities for which the consolidation method changed when the international accounting standards IFRS 10 and IFRS 11 came into force.
EBITDA is determined by adding Operating profit/loss (EBIT) to “Amortisation, depreciation, provisions and impairment”, insofar as these are the main non-cash items;
- financial debt is represented and determined in accordance with the aforementioned ESMA guidelines and in particular paragraph 127 of the recommendations of document No. 319 of 2013, implementing Regulation (EC) 809/2004. This indicator is determined as the sum of short-term borrowings (“Shortterm loans”, “Current part of long-term loans” and “Current financial liabilities”) and long-term borrowings (“Long-term loans”) and the related derivative instruments (“Non-current financial liabilities”), net of “Cash and cash equivalents” and “Current financial assets”;
- the net financial position is an indicator of the Acea Group’s financial structure determined in continuation with previous years and used, as from this document, exclusively for information presented in the business areas in order to provide clear segment information that can be easily reconciled with the financial debt (ESMA) referred to above. This indicator is obtained from the sum of Non-current borrowings and Financial liabilities net of non-current financial assets (financial receivables and securities other than equity investments), Current financial payables and other Current financial liabilities net of current financial assets and Cash and cash equivalents;
- net invested capital is the sum of “Current assets”, “Non-current assets” and Assets and Liabilities held for sale, less “Current liabilities” and “Non-current liabilities”, excluding items taken into account when calculating the net financial position;
- net working capital is the sum of the current receivables, inventories, the net balance of other current assets and liabilities and current debts, excluding the items considered in calculating the net financial position.